Monday, June 13, 2011

Art Class

I discovered a Figure Painting and Drawing class held at the Linn Benton Community College in Corvallis. Talk about wonderful!
For 10 weeks from 1pm to 3.30pm we had live models posing for us. Young, old, slim, voluptuous, all shapes, sizes and colours. Not only was the variety wonderful, the models took their trade seriously, many had trained, many were extremely seasoned models, all were pretty much fantastic.

AND the price is right. From memory the 10 weeks cost about $115, I am amazed. Not only do I get to sketch these great models, and have an experienced teacher that answers questions and does a class critique of your work, it costs very little.


One of our classmates modelled
when our scheduled model was sick

As I have said before, I LOVE doing the quick warm up sketches, the more the better as far as I am concerned. Why? Because models do the most interesting poses when they only have to hold it for one to 5 minutes at a time. Short poses are a warm up, they are a challenge, plus make you sketch quickly and concisely.

I love to paint from these sketches. I like to use lots of delicious colour, sometimes more exact, sometimes more whimsical, sometimes realistic, sometimes not.

I also discover that Oregon State University has models posing twice a week. The cost is a pultry $5 a session. I'm not often able to attend since they are in the evening, however when my darling husband is home, I try to get in to class and sketch. Yeah!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there, feel free to leave a comment and ask any questions. Thanks, Desray

Blog Archive